The Day I Met Suzie – Chris Higgins

‘My boyfriend could get into trouble if he gets caught. He could go to jail.’ I moan softly. ‘So could I.’ ‘Anything you tell me is completely confidential.’ I sigh deeply. What have I got to lose? ‘I wouldn’t know where to begin.’ ‘At the beginning?’ she says. ‘In your own words.’ So that’s what I do. I start at the beginning like she says. The day I met Suzie.

Indigo (Indie) rings the Samaritans. She is frightened and desperate with no one to turn to. Over the course of one long night, Indie tells her story to the person on the end of the phone. She realises that her friend Suzie has taken over her home, her friends, her work, her boyfriend – and her life. After every few chapters we are brought back to the present moment, and see how piecing the story together helps Indie progress towards resolution. By the end of the night and the end of her story, Indie has finally worked out for herself who is responsible for the situation she’s in. The book concludes with her acting upon it and turning the tables to regain control of her life.

Readings