The Stella Prize is a recent award initiative that was created to celebrate and honor Australian women’s contribution to literature.
The prize is named after one of Australia’s iconic female authors, Stella Maria “Miles” Franklin and was awarded for the first time in 2013. Both nonfiction and fiction books by Australian women are eligible for entry.
In 2015, there were well over 150 entries with a panel of authors selecting a longlist of 12 titles in the running for the top prize. They are as follows :
- Foreign Soil by Maxine Beneba Clarke
- The Strays by Emily Bitto
- Only the Animals by Ceridwen Dovey
- This House of Grief by Helen Garner
- Golden Boys by Sonya Hartnett
- The Invisible History of Human Race by Christine Kenneally
- The Eye of the Sheep by Sofie Laguna
- The Golden Age by Joan London
- Laurinda by Alice Pung
- Nest by Inga Simpson
- Heat and Light by Ellen van Neerven
- In My Mother’s Hands by Biff Ward
For more information on the titles, click here
The Stella Prize for 2015 will be announced on the 21st of April so stay tuned! Or even better, drop in to the library and borrow one of these books yourself!